Our Class Has a Pet Cat and 7 Valuable Lessons It Provides
… and there are countless benefits of it!
Our school cat had been showing a persistent interest in what has been happening inside the class. She would poke her nose through the door in the mornings and enjoyed the attention she would get from the students. This gave us an idea to make her a permanent member of our community and the children simply loved it! Prior to granting her entrance, we made sure that all parents were ok with this and that no child was allergic (the cat has been well taken care of with regular vaccinations and checkups taking place at the vet).
We were excited to arrange her a corner with bed, food, water and toys. Cat food, together with lots of love and cuddles, started pouring on a daily basis and lessons that this fluffy creature gave us in return have value beyond measure.
If you have a chance to have a healthy and gentle pet – at home or at school – here are 7 valuable lessons this experience will provide to your children and students:
1. Developing responsible behavior in the children who care for them.
2. Increasing responsibilities can contribute to a child’s self-esteem and self-confidence.
3. Positive relationships with pets can aid in the development of trusting relationships with others.
4. A good relationship with a pet can also help in developing non-verbal communication, compassion, and empathy.
5. Growing up with a pet can provide lessons about life, including reproduction, birth, illnesses, accidents, death, and bereavement.
6. Pets provide a connection to nature.
7. They can teach respect for other living things.